David Beckham posted the first pictures of his latest tattoo on Facebook. The tattoo is of Jesus being lifted by three cherubs, of whom David says symbolise himself and his three sons Brooklyn, 11, Romeo, 8, and Cruz, 6.
David also posted a video on Facebook explaining why he had the tattoo and what it represents.
‘It’s Jesus being carried by three cherubs and obviously the cherubs are my boys and so my thought of it is that at some point my boys are going to need to look after me and that’s what they’re doing in the picture. It means a lot.’ Says 35 year old David.
The tattoo is the handy work of one of LA’s biggest tattoo artists, Mark Mahoney, who has worked on a long list of famous names who include Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Mahoney works in West Hollywood at the Shamrock Social Club on The Sunset Strip and says he prides himself on making his customer’s experiences as memorable as possible.
David first posted a picture of Mahoney working on his new tattoo back in December of last year. He Tweeted: ‘I want to let you all in on something. Just had a new tattoo done by the legendary Mark Mahoney.’
Today he revealed what an amazing experience it was for him. He added: ‘I had it done 3 months ago, before I left LA. I don’t plan on having a tattoo, but just sometimes I wake up with an idea or an image of what I would like on me. It’s my way of expressing the way I’m feeling. Most of my tattoos are memories or things that mean a lot to me. It was an 8-hour session which lasted until about 3 o’clock in the morning. I then went back a few weeks later and we did another 4 hours. It’s really is amazing.’
SOME OF DAVID BECKHAM’S MYRIAD INKINGS TO DATE:
1. A version of a Renaissance painting of Cupid carrying his wife Psyche to Heaven
2. A Hebrew translation of ‘My son, do not forget my teaching but keep my commands in your heart’
3. Ring of roses on his left bicep, one for each year of his 11 year marriage to Victoria
4. Jesus Christ design in memory of his late grandfather Joe West and the word Granddad
5. An angel across his back in the shape of a cross
6. The names of the couple’s three sons Brooklyn, Romeo and Cruz.
7. A guardian angel on his right arm
8. Chinese characters down his left ribcage spelling out the saying: ‘Death and life have determined appointments. Riches and honour depend upon heaven’
9. An inscription on his left forearm saying: ‘Forever by your side’
10. A six-inch tattoo of Victoria as a bare-breasted angel, surrounded by stars
11. An inscription of Victoria’s name written in Hindi
12. Roman numerals VIII.V.MMVI, which stand for the date of his and Victoria’s commitment ceremony on May 8, 2006
13. The Latin phrase De Integro, meaning ‘Again from the start’.
14. ‘Pray For Me’ on his right wrist
15. A quote by the Roman Emperor Tiberius and also used by Caligula saying: ‘Let them hate as long as they fear’
16. The phrase ‘Perfectio In Spiritu’ which means ‘spiritual perfection’
17. The Roman numerals VII – which relates to Beckham’s old No7 England shirt
18. The saying ‘Amem et Foveam’ meaning ‘So that I love and cherish’
19. And another inscription in Hebrew saying: ‘I am for my beloved, and my beloved is for me, who grazes sheep in rose-like pastures’
Hope there’s some space left on his body to ink the arrival of his fourth child!